Sunday, September 2, 2007

Time to Relax!

Well, after several weeks of whirlwind activity, I have been looking forward to this 3-day holiday weekend to just relax. You know.........just hang out........no shower, no make-up, living in my pj's. But I realized that that's often easier said than done!

When the body and mind have been in a major "action" mode for an extended period of time, it's difficult to just say "stop" and expect the body to immediately shift gears. As I've gotten older, I am more successful at pacing myself and not getting into my usual overachiever, overadrenaline mode. Most of the time, I am aware of the part of me that is driven and I am able to balance it with some deep breathing, meditation and appreciation for the me that gets things done.

But, sometimes, I slip back into old patterns.....exhausting ones.....that don't support who I am and who I want to be. That "get the job done at any cost" mode which, although fulfilling at some level, is just a killer. Unfortunately, there is a price to pay for living life at warp speed, like needing to take the first 2 days of a 3 day weekend to decompress! It wasn't until this afternoon that I could feel my body start to let go. It was so lovely! I stretched out on the sofa, watched a Lifetime movie, read a little and took a long, long nap. Aaahhh! Heaven!

So now I am officially relaxed, the kind of relaxed you get when you are on vacation, and plan to stay that way for what's left of this weekend. I've put reminders on my vision board and on my office walls which nudge me to always keep a part of myself on vacation. I need this to stay in balance, to be whole, and it's nice to remember that I can have all of it........the drive to be productive AND the ability to relax........at the same time. Lord knows it takes lots of practice, but it can be done.

So, sorry, gotta run. There's another late night Lifetime chick-flick coming on! Maybe I'll watch it in bed!!

Happy weekend!!

No comments: